Tuesday, March 2, 2010

art - gary baseman


Gary Baseman
HotChaCha, Inc.


As an established artist in the fine art world, Baseman’s work is part of the permanent collections of the National Portrait Gallery in Washington D.C. and the Museum of Art in Rome. He creates highly sort after toys and collectables, illustrates for major corporations and publications, won an Emmy for the television series Teacher’s Pet and created artwork for the best selling game Cranium. His work has a distinct surreal feel.

Vital Artery was greatly inspired by Baseman’s “Happy Idiot,” and wanted to share the moment with you. It’s a story about a snowman in love with a mermaid who melts so she can live in his body of water.

It was created while going through a transitional phase, “I was giving up most of my traditional art jobs… Having trouble in my marriage and found myself longing for unattainable beauty. I began to draw mermaids and fairies… I found myself drawing this snowman over and over again. From there, I found him holding a mermaid, and from there the story was created.
I started to imagine the Snowman, sacrificing himself by melting himself down to allow his love, the Mermaid, to live within his body of water.”

It's kind of like that scene from, Prozac Nation - the film, when Elizabeth explains that devouring your lover would be the only way to truly possess them.
Hugely creepy yet unbelievably beautiful. Dontcha think?

I'll be your mermaid if you'll be my snowman.

Sketch Book, Conceptual Drawings from the World’s Most Influential Designers by Timothy O’Donnell.
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=765

No comments:

Post a Comment